4-H Project Judging
Judging interviews allow 4-H members to present their completed project & share knowledge gained through project work. Many alumni credit 4-H for helping them build valuable interview skills! The What to Exhibit’s on our website contains project guidelines & judging requirements for non-livestock projects and the Logan County Livestock Resources contain project guidelines & interview study guides. Information regarding posters, cost analysis, etc. is useful in preparing for judging. Please be sure to look at the general guidelines for the topic area as well as the project specific guidelines. Grade may be lowered if the guidelines are not followed. If you have questions, please call your advisor or OSU Extension at 937-599-4227.
4-H members must have completed project work to exhibit in Junior Fair.
All 4-H projects are completed with an evaluation interview.
- We want all 4-Hers to have a positive experience with the evaluation portion of their project. Please contact the Extension office by June 1st to make arrangements for members with special needs so reasonable accommodations can be made.
- Please notify the Extension Office if you are not planning to participate in the scheduled county judging so the appropriate number of judges may be secured. If your child is scheduled for an individual appointment and is unable to attend, call us at 937-599-4227.
If your child is unable to attend his/her scheduled judging, two alternative options are available to complete a project. These options do not qualify youth for State Fair or for County Awards.
Option 1: Attend Make-up Judging on June 23rd for non-livestock projects 12:00pm-5:00pm at the OSU Extension Office.
Option 2: Their 4-H Advisor may judge the project or make arrangements for a qualified person to judge for them. All livestock projects must be judged and recorded by the OSU Extension Office by June 16. Non-livestock projects must be judged and recorded by July 7.
LIVESTOCK EVALUATIONS - JUNE 15
Livestock Evaluations are June 15th, from 2:00pm to 7:00pm at the Logan County Fairgrounds in the Show Arena building. Please use the link below to sign up for a 15 minute slot to complete the following 3 stations for Livestock Evaluations.
Station #1 – Project Record Book
Station #2 – Interview Station
Station #3 – Parts of the Animal
FREQUENT QUESTION & ANSWERS:
- Dairy Feeders complete the Beef Project book not the Dairy Cattle project books.
- 227 Pet Rabbit project book is for youth only using their rabbits as pets. This is not for youth who plan to show at the fair. Youth showing rabbits at the fair should take Breeding or Market Rabbit project books. Pet Rabbits are judged with Companion Animals on July 6.
- Horses (except for Horseless Horse) will participate in Livestock Evaluations. You only need to complete 1 book. (Beginning Horse Management is split into 3 parts for 3 years)
- Companion Goat is like Pet Rabbit and is for youth who just use their goats as a pet and DO NOT bring their animal to the fair. They are judged with Companion Animals on July 6.
- Cat and Dog projects are judged with Companion Animals on July 6.
*Please register one youth at a time. For example, register Michael up for all of his interviews then go back to the link and register Sally up for all of hers.
LIVESTOCK EVALUATION RUBRICS
Below are the exact rubrics we will be using for Livestock Interviews. If you interview with a 4-H Volunteer or Advisor a rubric must be complete by the advisor and turned in to the OSU Extension Office by June 16.
4-H PROJECT MAKE-UP JUDGING - JUNE 23
Make-up Project Judging is make-up for ALL 4-H projects on Wednesday, June 23 from Noon till 5:00 pm in 20-minute slots. Please fill out the below link to register for a slot.
*Please note that any Non-Livestock projects that are interviewed at make-up judging are not eligible for county awards or state eligibility. It is just for completion.
4-H NON-LIVESTOCK JUDGING - JULY 6 & 7
Non-Livestock Judging will be July 5th and 6th in 2021. Judging will be at the OSU Extension Office (1100 S. Detroit Street, Bellefontaine, OH 43311) and will start at 9:00 a.m. Each family will be mailed a Judging Booklet in early June that will have each youth signed up for a specific time and date. There will also be a copy of the Judging Booklet below.
Here is a list of what general projects will be on each day:
|July 5||July 6|
Clothing & Textile Science